Wednesday, October 1, 2008

“Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.” -Sam Ewing

Typography Project #2

ASSIGNMENT: "Create a Monogram for yourself using your initials. A Monogram is a motif made by overlapping or combining two or more letters to form one symbol. Try to express something about yourself through the monogram logo.

REQUIREMENTS:
-Must use two or more letters interacting with one another to create a unique Monogram for yourself.
-Preliminary roughs will be done by hand using tracing paper and a black marker or black pencil.
-Final monogram will be created in Adobe Illustrator and printed out. 2 Printouts: Black and White version and a One to Two color version.

GOALS:
-To take what you learned about letterforms and their interactions and apply it to creating a successful mark; in our case, a personal Monogram.
-To continue to explore the interactions of positive and negative shapes and unique interations into using Adobe Illustrator.

Alright guys, let me know what you think of what I've got so far! And in case you don't know already, my initials are S.E.H. The only one that has all 3 letters is the one with the cursive font. Most likely, I won't be going with that one, but I love the flow and beauty of certain cursive fonts and had to try one out. My idea was to create that one so that it would be symmetrical- so if you flip it upside-down it still reads SEH. I like the concept, but not really into the elegant design if it's going to be a monogram for me, that's also supposed to express a little about who I am. And most of you know that elegance and flowery curves and what not aren't exactly my style.... :) So take a look and let me know which one you like best. I think I have my pick already though, but I'm definitely curious as to what you think!

click one to enlarge it:









1 comment:

Anonyrock said...

I like the calligraphic one the best

I had to do a similar assignment in foundation 2D about 25 years ago using press-on letters...