Wednesday, October 1, 2008

“You can do a good ad without good typography, but you can’t do a great ad without good typography.” -Herb Lubalin

I'd say about 80% of the people I've told I'm taking a typography class this Fall have asked me, "What's typography?" And when I tell them that in a nutshell, it's the study of lettering and how language is presented, they either give me a fake "Ohhh, I get it" or a "Hmmm..." even though they're still confused. It's kind of funny to me that that happens, but at the same time, it really makes me wish I could explain how beautiful typography can be and how essential it is to good design.

Well guys, here is a small collection of some of my favorite clips of typography in motion. The first of them explains what typography is, just a bit outside that nutshell. I hope that by watching them (or even 1) you get a better understanding of typography and what I'll be learning all about in a couple weeks when classes start up again! I'm really excited.









pulp fiction in typography (so of course.... WARNING: EXPLICIT CONTENT)


and a great site with some more static examples:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/05/12/sexy-bold-and-experimental-typography/

No comments: